Sunday, February 28, 2010

Get To Know Him

Well Happy New Year!! :^P Yeah I know, I'm only almost three months late, which I truly apologize for. Not only have I not been coming across impressive enough music, but there was some confusion about me writing for another blog with the same "theme" and I didn't want to do both. But for now, I'm here, back to give you music you NEED to hear.

Normally, I don't post on the weekends, but I came across something special and I couldn't keep this to myself. Back in Novemeber, I was searching my favorite blog, ConcreteLoop.com and they had a short section about a new artist named Mateo. They had a video posted and I decided to click and listen. The song was entitled "Get To Know Me" and immediately I fell in love with it. Not only the song and it's lyrics, but the voice of the man singing it. The song was so completely beautiful. I downloaded it, but after listening, didn't bother to look for any more music from him or do any background research on the artist. A few days ago, searching ConcreteLoop again, I came across another song by Mateo; his rendetion of Empire State of Mind. After I listened to the song for about fifteen times back to back, I figured I needed to find out more about him. I checked out his YouTube page which you should do as well and listened to more of his music. I was and am extremely impressed. Something about the way his voice sounds so perfectly paired with the music, the lyrics, which Mateo writes himself, and the feeling I get when I listen to his music, makes this artist something extremely special and someone everyone should be on the lookout for.

He's so extremely talented and so young which proves that he has so much potential yet to show us. He is currently signed to Myspace Records label and is set to be releasing his third installment of his "Underneath the Sky Mixtape." He has a preview on his website where you can also download his other mixtapes, learn more about the artist and find out upcoming events where he'll be. He also has more music posted on his myspace page. If I had to classify Mateo into a certain genre, I would have to say R&B, but he's not your typical R&B singer. The guy has loads of talent, creativity and something different to offer to this generation of music and I respect artists that are not afraid to step off of the stage which holds the majority and be the minority; in this case, that minority being a raw and genuine talent. In this day in age, we get caught up more on the way an artist is presented than the actual content of what's being presented and I think when people see and hear this artist, they will realize that he is the "real deal" both inside and out.

"R&B music has turned more into head-bop music; hip-hop beats over hip-hop loops. I want to bring R&B music back to where people actually have some type of emotion when they listen to my music. I want them to feel that not only is it my story, but their story as well; that they identify with it, and will be able to recall the song ten years from now.” -Mateo

Please take the time out to listen to some of his music and be on the lookout for him to take over R&B in the future. I'd hate to be the one to rub it in and say "I told you so."

No comments:

Post a Comment