Monday, December 21, 2009

Mixtape Monday


Well hello there folks! It's been a little bit but I have some good stuff for you all. So my friend Ronnie introduced me to this guy a few weeks ago. It's actually his cousin. So he's tellin me about him and I ask what he does and he told me he's a rapper. My inital response, "Oh great, a rapper! Who isn't one these days?!" But he was quick to assure me that he wasn't like most of the rappers out and had more of a "a Q-Tip style, 90's golden era rap" feel about him. So as I usually do, I took his word for it. So I hung out with this guy, who's name is AD by the way, short for Adalesson. He's a Chicago native and is very passionate about music, which is always a good thing. He played a few of his tracks for me. I was rather impressed. I didn't expect for his voice to be so smooth and seamless over the tracks he played for me, so of course I wanted to hear more. He gave me a copy of his first mixtape[Room for Growth] which I thouroughly enjoyed and then sent me a link a few days ago to download his second mixtape [Listenin' for Breaks] which I'm listening to as I type and loving it. I'm a sucker for lyrical and "chill" music. Music that you can just sit in the house, have a glass of wine to and this tape has defintely done that for me. First of all, I love the fact that he appreciates so many different types of music as I do. All of the beats on this tape are so classic and most of them have a jazz inspired feel to them. Much different than most rappers you hear when they create a mixtape. And again, his voice goes so well with the beats he chose for the tape. I would definitely have to agree with Ronnie's original assessment in that he does remind me a lot of a lot of the music that came out of the early 90's. I love the intro's to some of the songs he has ("Royal Wit Cheese", "Karma Sutra"), very creative. He has a few other local rappers featured on the tape(Illuminate Mics, Trilogy, Drunken Monkee, Pro Wonder, Bullet, and Cos G) Anyhoo, I'm going to include a link on here so you guys can download the tape. WHEN you do, leave a comment and tell me what you thought about it. I'm sure he would enjoy feedback.

Straigh from the horse's mouth: "Track listing is composed of 27 songs, 6 emcee features , 3 producers and 1 DJ (SYZYGY) and lovely instrumentals by Khrysis, Madlib, J Dilla, Black Milk, J-zone, D' Angelo, charles hamilton, Dj Premier, Big Daddy Kane , Samiyam, Roy Ayers, 9th Wonder, Nujabes Dwele and Peter Rock"
I can't name my favorites, because the beats alone make me like all of the songs. But some of my favs are Laidback Desperado, World Change, Ex 2 Next. Ok that's all you're gettin!! Check out the tape(s)!!


Download Adalesson(1st tape): Room for Growth

Download Adalesson(2nd tape): Listenin' for Breaks

No comments:

Post a Comment