Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Get Ready to Cuddle

So after talking with some people and getting some constructive criticism about the blog, I’ve decided to make a few changes. (I just have to make sure to stay on top of them). So instead of doing the album reviews on the day the album’s released, I’ll be doing them before hand so you guys can actually know what to expect before you grab the album. Secondly, I’ll be adding more of a breakdown of the albums and not just my personal opinion. You’ll see the difference in the next few posts. And lastly I will choose certain days of the week to run “trending topics” ©Twitter. Ie: Throwback Thursday’s, where I’ll review a throwback album that I like. And although I love my R&B, I’m gonna work to try to do more on the hip hop scene and expose those underground and “slept on” artists like I said I would in the first place. So get excited for the changes and any other things you would like to see happen, feel free to leave comments. I’m always open for suggestions! (btw, Thanks Kevo for the advice) Now on to the task at hand….



Alicia Keys is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is how I felt when I first heard the news that she was soon to release another album. I heard “Doesn’t Mean Anything “ and I liked it. Although it did sound a lot like other songs she had done in the past (Unbreakable) I liked some of the runs she did on the track. Then she released “Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart” and I dug it. It was a little different from things she previously released. Anyone who knows me, knows that Alicia Keys is and has always been #1 in my book. So needless to say I was extra amped for the release of “The Element of Freedom”.
BUT when I heard it, I was really UNimpressed. There were probably a total of 4 songs that I really liked besides the two singles she released. NOT GOOD. I have NEVER NOT been able to listen to one of her albums all the way through, this one is completely different. The songs I like, stay in constant rotation and are really good, but the rest, I am not impressed in the least bit. I’ve been trying to figure out what it is but I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I feel like she tried to go for a different sound this time around and it didn’t quite work out for her. The songs I do like, are typical, classic Alicia tracks but songs like “Like the Sea “ “Put it in a Love Song” ft Beyonce, “Wait til You See My Smile” and “Love is Blind” are horrible to me. I’m really disappointed because with all I’ve been going through lately, I was hoping Alicia could be the one, as she always has, to make things better, but she didn’t. “That’s How Strong My Love Is” “Unthinkable” “Distance and Time” “Love is My Disease” “How it Feels to Fly” are probably the best songs on the album, along with the two singles she’s already released. “Empire State of Mind pt 2” gets honorable mention. The album includes production by Kerry "Krucial" Brothers, Jeff Bhasker and others. Although the CD wasn’t that great in my personal opinion, I would still advise you to grab a copy, as I will be doing, to support her. Love her, love her music. This was not her strongest album, but she’s Alicia Keys and we know what she’s capable of. You can’t bat 1000 100% of the time. Element of Freedom in stores Dec 15




On the other hand, Robin Thicke will be releasing his new album “Sex Therapy” on Dec. 15. I didn’t know what to expect from Robin this time around because although I liked his last album, there were songs on there that I could do without. But I should’ve known the album would be dope based on the fact that I can’t go a day without playing “Sex Therapy.” That song is so sexy and classy and just amazing all around. BUT the album, is almost just as great. I listened all the way through and never once got the urge to skip a song until I got to the very last song(only because I heard The Game’s voice). Very very solid album. Producers include Thicke himself, Polow Da Don, Teddy Riley and more. All the songs are beautiful, even the faster tempos. He had pretty good features on the album also: Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, Jazmine Sullivan, Estelle, Snoop Dogg, and Nicki Manaj and The Game get honorable mention because they made the album, not necessarily because they’re “good features”. I will say, the song he did with Nicki Manaj (Shakin it 4 Daddy) actually made me like her a little bit more. But that’s neither here nor there. I think this might be my favorite album from Mr. Thicke with The Evolution taking a close second. Of course you’ll need to know my favorites: Sex Therapy, It’s in the Morning ft. Snoop, Start with a Kiss(interlude) is really cute and sexy, Rollacoster ft. Estelle, Million Dolla Baby ft. Jazmine Sullivan, 3 Luv Birds, I Got You, Just Right, Mona Lisa, Brand New Love….yeah I pretty much just named almost every track on the album…so make sure you go cop a copy of Sex Therapy. I promise you won’t be disappointed. It’s probably NOT a good idea to have the CD unless you have a boo because it will make you want to cuddle up quick! :) But I do advise you to check it out…thoroughly impressed with Mr. Thicke. It will definitely be in constant rotation in any musical device I have!

2 comments:

  1. Great reviews. Sex Therapy "The Album" was amazing. Just bought it today and gave it a full listen.

    The song 2 Luv Birds was just simply amasing. The concept was incredible and so was Robs voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you! the love is much appreciated! and yes, that's def one of my favs :)

    ReplyDelete